The Highway Beautification Act of 1965 (23 USC §131) requires the state of Texas to control signage along interstate and federal-aid roadways. Our regulatory map has been updated to reflect the current extent of highways classified as federal-aid within Texas as defined by 23 USC 101(a)(5).

These classifications are maintained by the Transportation Planning and Programming Division (TPP) within TxDOT. If you would like more information on the functional classification process, you may wish to file an open records request with TPP.

Notice of Newly Adopted Rules
Please be aware that newly adopted administrative rules regarding commercial signs along interstate and primary highways have been updated and can be found online under Title 43 of the Texas Administrative Code Chapter 21, Sub Chapter I. The rules are effective as of Wednesday, March 14, 2018.


TxDOT regulates commercial signs along Texas highways under the Highway Beautification Act and outdoor advertising along minor roads outside of the corporate limits of cities, towns and villages under the State Rural Roads Act. Commercial Signs do not include signs located within the state right of way, including traffic signs, memorial signs or logo signs.

Enterprise Permitting Solution

Enterprise Permitting Solution (EPS) allows you to conduct online commercial sign business in Texas, including:

  • Apply, amend and renew a license or permit
  • Maintain an account
  • Register for directional signs
  • Obtain nonprofit permits
  • Resolve violations
  • Transfers
  • Request replacement plates
  • Submit and track complaints
  • Locate permitted and unpermitted sign structures

Please read the following prior to starting the registration process:

  • The person registering for the account should be the primary contact.
  • The primary contact may register delegates after completing the registration process.
  • All primary contacts and delegates should register as individuals even if they work for a company/organization.


Licensing PDF
License Application Checklist
Submitting a License Application
Renewing a License
EPS Operating Instructions PDF
Registering for an Account
Submitting a Permit Application
Renewing Multiple Permits
Renewing a Single Permit
Transferring Permits
Submitting a Complaint

Rules and Regulations

Sign owners may need to obtain a commercial sign license and permit, depending on location and other regulations. You must have a commercial sign license issued to you prior to applying for a permit. For more information, review the Texas Administrative Code:

Report alleged violations of law and rules for commercial signs in EPS.

Subscribe to Updates

If you are interested in receiving notifications including announcements of rule changes regarding the commercial signs regulatory program for billboards, please subscribe to updates.

More Information

Contact Us

Please contact us by phone or email. We will respond within one business day.

(512) 416-3030