TxDOT is studying US 82 from FM 1197/Bridge St. in Henrietta to SH 175/Montague St. in Nocona. This two-lane undivided section of US 82 is approximately 27 miles long and is being evaluated to widen to a four-lane divided highway. The initial study included possible reroutes around Henrietta and Nocona. However, those have been determined as not warranted at this time, and they are not being carried forward.
- Improve connectivity between Henrietta and Nocona
- Increase mobility by adding capacity to US 82
- Traffic is expected to increase along the corridor
- US 82 is a priority corridor for interstate connectivity and has been listed as a high priority project by the Cross Plains Rural Transportation Council
- Improve connectivity
- Increase mobility
- Improve safety
Alternative Being Developed
Rural four-lane divided highway: Widen existing corridor to the north and south as shown on the project schematics to avoid or lessen impacts to existing homes, businesses and utilities where possible.
Next Steps/Project Schedule
- Finalize the schematic design
- Obtain environmental approval
- Survey right-of-way parcels needed for the expansion
- Appraise and purchase right-of-way
- Relocate utilities
- Develop detailed design plans
- Construct the project in phases (dates and timing of construction are subject to change if the processes above are not completed on time or funding does not become available as anticipated)
- Phase 1 (from Ringgold to Nocona) is planned to start construction in 2021
- Phase 2 (from the Clay/Montague county line to Ringgold) is planned to start construction in 2023
- Phase 3 (from the Clay/Montague county line to Bryant Edwards Road) is planned to start construction in 2025
- Phase 4 (from Bryant Edwards Road to Henrietta) is planned to start construction in 2027
Public Involvement Timeline
- Public meetings were held in Henrietta and Nocona in early 2017
- Additional public meetings were held in Henrietta and Nocona in January 2018
- Public hearings were held on June 24 and 25, 2019, in Henrietta and Nocona, respectively
The environmental review, consultation and other actions required by applicable Federal environmental laws for this project are being, or have been, carried-out by TxDOT pursuant to 23 U.S.C. 327 and a Memorandum of Understanding dated Dec. 16, 2014, and executed by FHWA and TxDOT.
Shaun Barnes, P.E.
TxDOT Project Manager